Intellectual Property Litigation Associate
Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP is a Chicago-based intellectual property law firm having over 85 attorneys, highly qualified patent agents, and technical specialists, all dedicated to providing superior intellectual property counseling. We specialize in litigation and prosecution in all areas of intellectual property law. We litigate nationwide, primarily within the federal court system, and obtain patents and trademark registrations for our clients in the United States and foreign patent and trademark offices.
We are currently seeking a talented Associate, with a background in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, to join our Litigation practice group.
• This position demands that the individual will assume significant client responsibilities, provide high-quality services to domestic and foreign clients, communicate with all levels of management and staff and, at times, will require a significant degree of autonomy.
• Specific responsibilities will include all aspects of patent litigation (e.g. development of strategies, defenses, conduct of discovery, work with technical and testifying experts, drafting motions and other pleadings, court appearances, and supporting and participating in trials of patent infringement actions). Secondarily, opportunities exist for involvement in patent prosecution and transactional/licensing matters, subject to the candidate’s interest and the Firm’s needs.
• Strong academic credentials, which should minimally including a Bachelor of Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
• Advanced degrees are a significant plus.
• Experience with relational databases (e.g., MySQL), web analytics, server side programming, source code repositories (e.g., Subversion and GitHub), web APIs, mobile APIs (such as Node.JS) and software architecture including MVC, REST, and service oriented architecture
• Industry work experience with an ecommerce company ideal
• At least 2-3 years of intellectual property litigation experience, but not more than 7 years of experience..
• License to practice law in Illinois (or licensed to practice law in another state and qualified to sit for the Illinois bar exam).
• Excellent communication skills--both written and verbal--and exceptional organizational skills.
Contact Information/Application Instructions
In addition to our generous benefits package, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun offers a business-casual atmosphere and provides ample opportunity for socialization between our colleagues at monthly breakfasts, special-occasion luncheons, and out-of-office functions throughout the year. Associates are also provided a generously sized private office and a culture that offers great work-life balance.
Qualified individuals interested in this position should forward a curriculum vitae, law school transcripts, and undergraduate/graduate transcripts to Michele J. Gudaitis at email@example.com.